Friday, January 9, 2009

the day i was ALMOST arrested!!

You know me, Little Miss Trouble--dang the California Cell Phone law. So I'm driving to grab the boys from Rosie's chattin' away with Heather, and I say "Crap" and quickly close and throw the phone. Mr. Motorcycle cop's lights are flashing in my rear view mirror, I realize it's gotta be me so I pull over in a bank parking lot on South Main Street. He struts over to me and I say, "Are you mad at me sir?" thinking I'm cute and funny. He almost chuckles but then states that I was on the phone and my registration tags have expired--so he needs to see ID. (this is where it gets fun) I reach back by Raylee where I always put my purse on the floor in front of her--there's nothing there. I start to panic a little--then frantically searching the glove box and other little nooks and crannies trying to come up with some ID. Officer WHO-HA watching my scurry says AND I QUOTE: "Well we can do this my way where I have your car towed and impounded while I arrest you and take you down to the station to have you ID-ed. I'm grasping at straws here, how else can you prove that you are who you say you are-- do you have any tattoos." Uhhhhh. . . if i only would've carved my name into my bicep this would have gone smoother. I got it, so I tell him I know another cop--that I'm good friends with his wife (i'll keep them annonymous on the web). The officer questioned me on how I knew him and then decided to call him to see. I haven't heard from my friend what was said, or the WHO-HA just looked up my license but he soon returned to my window with the 3 part ticket and said that the does believe me. 2 parts I can have one of my officer friends to sign 'em off (fix it ticket) but I will be paying the price for all of US that chat without our bluetooth. Good stuff huh--just picture me and Ray Ray taking a stroll to the station in a cop car.

7 comments:

Janis said...

Good story Laurie.

Fulkerson Clan said...

wow laurie, i'm impressed with how calm you were during the situation! i would have burst into tears the moment i saw the lights flashing in the rearview mirror! plus, to deal with the disrespect--for no reason really--harsh! i applaud your reaction to your ordeal!!!

Christy said...

Funny, and scary! I love how you have the "bad boys...what cha gonna do when they come for you" song playing in the background :) Thank goodness you have a cop friend- saved Kent once in his youth as well.

robin said...

you can never be too careful . . . i got pulled over here while using my bluetooth! i was just adjusting it or something and got pulled over! they're like hawks, looking for those phone-talkers . . . they'll get ya.

she (the cop) let me go.

Jewels said...

That is so funny!!! He didn't tell me a thing so I will have to get back with you on the story. I still have your pan and need to come bring it to you. I am glad you got out of it ok.

The Fear Fam said...

Was it a CHP officer that pulled you over? I hope not... I hate to hear about rude CHP officers.

Jay gives out a ton of tickets for cell phones. They are not very lenient with that one so my advice is to invest in a hands-free do-dad asap. :)

Amy said...

Hilarious. I'm glad I finally got your blog onto my list. Now I can keep up with you. You are so funny and we are going to miss you. Are you moving soon?